Saturday, August 21, 2010

Day 1: The Arrival

Photo of the Day: Queens from the Sky

Arriving in the Big Apple was both momentous and anticlimactic. I was completely exhausted and bleary with restless in-flight sleep, but I was also keenly aware of the major life change this day represents. While I was hoping to catch a glimpse of the iconic Manhattan skyline as the plan landed in LaGuardia Airport, I was instead greeted with this view of Queens, which is more appropriate sinceI will be living here in the Elmhurst neighborhood for the next year. Welcome to New York!

My new landlords took me on a quick tour of the neighborhood, and while I consciously chose not to bring my camera as to avoid completely geeking out in true tourist fashion, I do regret not being able to capture the unique sights and sounds we encountered. While not at all glamorous, the neighborhood where I reside is an amazing smorgasbord of food, color, and culture. While I've always defended Houston as a premier culinary destination, it pales next to the overwhelming selection of ethnic eateries found in just a few blocks of any New York neighborhood. And I love that everyone walks everywhere!

Here are a couple random images I couldn't resist snapping with my cell phone:

Lactic Acid Bars entice customers in the Chinese grocery store checkout line.
Asians need to work on their branding skills.

The two-story Target at the Queens Mall has a special escalator just for shopping carts. Ingenious!

No comments:

Post a Comment