Saturday, December 18, 2010

Day 111: The Kids

Photo of the Day: Silly/Happy

Today I was at home for most of the day, which was quite nice and refreshing. In addition to lots of introspective quiet time, I also got to spend a significant amount of time with the kiddos, who decided to hang out in my room for a while while their parents were napping. But our fun and games turned sour when Kayla got upset with me after I half-jokingly chastised her for knocking a poster off my wall. Unfortunately, I think angry kids are hilarious, and my instinctual response to childish ire is usually to egg it on further, which is what makes me such an incredibly annoying older brother (ask any of my siblings).

I didn't step out the apartment until late at night to meet my cousin, who arrived this evening from Houston for her own private vacation in New York City. Crazy girl that she is, she flew into Newark at around 9 p.m., cabbed it all the way down to Brooklyn, then came back into Manhattan for dinner. We ate together at Momofuku Noodle Bar, and everything we ordered was predictably wonderful, though the ramen and pork bun still played second fiddle to the superior Ippudo. I got to try roasted foie gras for the first time, artfully served with almonds, pears, and tea. It was rich, smoky, and melt-in-your-mouth delicious, though I could hardly justify spending the exorbitant price on such a small portion.

Another funky hairdo for Kayla, this time quadruple braids.
Glasses.Diamond.
Big bro and little sis.
Kayla and her "baby," a hilariously obnoxious singing plush toy.
The kids built a four-foot tower out of toy blocks today, then topped it with a plastic Santa figurine.
I was doing some thinking on relationships today, and I smiled when I saw this sign a friend gave me for my birthday on my bulletin board.
A few encouraging cards I've received from friends this year also up on my bulletin board.
Momofuku Ramen with pork belly, pork shoulder, and poached egg.
Roasted foie gras with almond, pear, and smoked tea.
Foie gras buddies!
Scenes from Queens: A lighted Christmas tree in the window.

No comments:

Post a Comment