Monday, September 27, 2010

Day 38: The Farewell

Photo of the Day:  Scraping the Storm Clouds


My mom and sister left New York today. On an awful note I might add. It was rainy all day today, which made their wanderings of Fifth Avenue downright unpleasant and miserable (though at least they were impressed by the sparkling public restrooms at Trump Tower). On top of that, their plane was delayed for two hours because of the crappy weather, and now they're forced to spend the night in Atlanta because they missed their connecting flight.

Before they departed, I joined them for a long lunch at Joe's Shanghai (yes, again) and grabbed cookies from Momofuku (yes, again). Afterward, I walked them to the subway station, where my mom gave me a tearful farewell. Goodbyes are always so difficult. Seeing my mom and sister this weekend made me miss my family, and I wish their trip in New York had been more enjoyable and not so hectic. We got to see so many sights in the city, but in the end, I think all they really wanted was to see me, which means a lot. Ah, well, there's always Thanksgiving and Christmas around the corner!

Our last picture together in New York City during a quick stop at the FDNY Store.

8 comments:

  1. very cool picture of the day! :-/ man.. that totally sucks that they had to stay overnight in atlanta. i hope they make it back to houston without too much delay tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment and your concern! They made it back okay today. They were able to get a discounted rate at a nice hotel in Atlanta, but the airline should really reimburse them for the added expense of having to stay overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is all worth it to be a ble to see YOu Josh! The experience was not pleasant, but it taught us to be more patient ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i LOVE the momofuku blueberry cookie. i think i wasn't in the right state of mind to enjoy it at joe's. i don't think mom likes her chocolate chocolates though. how'd you like the lindts she bought?

    new york was really fun overall! it was the trip home that was rough... but i thoroughly enjoyed our time in the city. thanks for everything bro!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Evelyn: WHAT?! You didn't think it was pleasant? =( I hope at least parts of it were pleasant!

    @Lestari: Yeah, I was really disappointed you didn't get to experience Momofuku at optimum times - the first one was stale, and the second was on a grumpy, rainy day. I'll bring more cookies when I come back to visit Houston! I haven't tried the Lindt's yet....waiting for either a really bad or really good day, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i meant the experience in atlanta, not in new york!

    ReplyDelete
  7. dad says thanks for the NYPD tshirt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Evelyn: Okay, sorry I misunderstood! I'm glad you had a good time. =)

    @Daisy: You're welcome, Dad!

    ReplyDelete