Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Day 53: The Birthday Surprise

Photo of the Day: Cutting the Cake


As an long-time church mate, Talida has been very gracious in facilitating my transition to New York. As mentioned last week in the blog, she gave me a helpful suggestion on where to buy a cake for my boss (see Day 47: The Cake), among other practical tips. Well, today is Talida's birthday, so her recommendation of Financier Patisserie became doubly useful when our small group was looking to surprise her with a cake. Following the selection of her husband, Tim, I ordered a delicious creation made of pistachio mousse, chocolate ganache, and a macaroon crust. We sang "Happy Birthday" to her after our Bible study, but I'd forgotten plates and plasticware, so we resorted to using brown paper towels as our dishes.

A plaza with a cool sculpture that I pass every day on the way to work.
I ran out of coffee beans, so I made a run to my all-time favorite Stumptown Coffee Roasters to restock before fellowship.
Ah, the familiar awkward smile as everyone sings "Happy Birthday" to you. I never know what to do when I'm in the seat of honor, so I understand the feeling.
Ken, ever the gentleman, offers to help cut the cake.
The Financier Patisserie cake doesn't look as delicious served on a generic paper tower, but trust me, it was heavenly.
Just wanted to point out (a.k.a. brag) that after five weeks, I remain undefeated in BOTH of my fantasy football leagues. Seeing as I've only watched one complete football game on television since the season began, I must be some kind of fantasy football savant.
My niece Zoey on webcam! Seeing this precious little girl absolutely made my night.

2 comments:

  1. Haha, I missed this post! Thanks again for getting the cake, Josh. It was great, and I'm glad to have celebrated the day with the group :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome. I'll take any excuse to eat some of Financier's delicious cake. :) Great recommendation, by the way!

    ReplyDelete